Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Working It Wednesday: Record Bowls

So I haven't worked on anything at all lately because I was out of town for vacation. No worries though! I can still offer up a blog worthy post. Record bowls!


Last year I made a bunch of them and took pictures along the way intending to blog a tutorial about it but never actually did it. These are crazy easy to make and are a fun rainy day activity if you have kids. Super cheap with no mess.

You will need:
Old vinyl records (find them at Goodwill or yard sales)
Metal or Pyrex bowl (shape and size don't matter all that much)
Cookie sheet

To make:
-Preheat oven to 200.
-Place bowl upside down on the cookie sheet.

-Place record centered, on top of bowl.
-Place items in oven and watch through the window as the record begins to droop.

-Once record has drooped, pull cookie sheet out and pull record off. You may want to use pot holders when handling the record but I personally don't. It's too hard for me to follow the next step if I have oven mitts on. But for safety's sake, do what is best for you.
-Immediately mold and shape the bowl by pinching and bending the edges. The record will harden very quickly so you have to work fast.

-Let the bowl cool for about 10-15 minutes.

While these bowls are not food safe, they do make awesome decorative items. I've used them as a quirky catch all by the door for cellphones and keys and I've hung them like artwork on my wall. I've had a friend use one as a base for a cool gift basket. Every bowl will be different, no two alike. Whatever you use them for, it's sure to be a fun activity and create a conversation starter.

I'll be back in my normal groove of things next week and have a real post to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment