Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Working It Wednesday: Learning Hand Lettering


I am super excited about what I've been working on this week-Hand Lettering! All over everywhere I always see the prettiest script and I'm always jealous. See, my own handwriting is awful. I don't really print and I don't really write in cursive either. It's some hodge podge blend of the two and while my writing is legible, it's anything but pretty. Just ask my mom. She's a former teacher who grew up in strict Catholic schools so her handwriting is always, always picture perfect. As a child I can remember her buying handwriting workbooks and making me practice them during the summer. She tried but my messy, bubbly scrawl won the fight. And honestly, I never really cared all that much. Until I started seeing people do beautiful canvases and other art with hand lettered and artful script. Nope, then I was just jealous. I messed around with it a little on my own here and there, trying to see if I could figure it out but it was never what I would consider good work. 

And then I found, at random on Facebook, a local hand lettering workshop! Melody Tartera with Tartera Sign and Design was hosting the class and had just 2 spots left in the next class. I hesitated before signing up, not sure if I'd be good enough to learn how to do this in just one, 2 hour workshop. Finally, I decided to go for it, signing up for the class and handing over my $50 along with the hope that I'd get something worthwhile in the end. And boy did I ever! 

The class was great and I walked away with some great advice and instruction. During the workshop she taught us the basics of what we would need to know to get started and we worked on learning to write our letters. We were given pens and worksheets to take home and practice with. Much to my surprise, hand lettering isn't as difficult as I'd imagined it would be. It's certainly not easy but it is learnable and with practice (lots of practice) I am positive I will be able to do this well. 

All week I've been doing my worksheets and practicing writing my name and address. Usually until my hand cramps, insisting I stop for the day. I've burned through not one but two Sharpies and countless sheets of paper so far. Next week I plan to start trying to letter on canvases and eventually I want to get some of my favorite scriptures and quotes written out and posted for sale in my Etsy shop. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress but I expect you'll be seeing beautiful, handwritten words in the very near future!



Practice will make perfect, eventually!



My pile of practice worksheets!

No comments:

Post a Comment