Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Working It Wednesday: Hand Painted Wine Glasses

Several years ago, inspired once again by Pinterest, I began painting wine glasses. This week, as I continue to prepare for next month's East Buntyn Artwalk, I'm painting new glassware. Not just wine glasses, but beer steins, martini and margarita glasses too!


Painting them is easy. All you need is the right paint, clean glasses and an oven. And depending on the design, perhaps a little patience too. I've done a few that seemed to take forever and ever because they were so detailed.



I use inexpensive Libby brand glassware that I buy from Dollar Tree. There are two different paints I use. One is the same tha I use on my story stones-Sharpie brand oil paint. This paint is easier to use and I feel like it glides on the glass a little more smoothly but once finished, these cannot be washed in a dishwasher. The other paint I use is Glass Enamel paint by Folk Art. This one feels thicker when I'm painting but seems to be much more long term durable than the Sharpie brand. And this one can go into the dishwasher and the paint won't chip or fade. Personally, I'm all about using the dishwasher and you'd be hard pressed to find dishes in my house that aren't dishwasher safe. I hate hand washing.
I'm doing a little of both types of paint this week since I have both on hand.



I don't usually sell my glassware in my Etsy shop simply because it scares me to ship them in the mail. I'm sure there are perfectly safe ways to ship them but it just makes me nervous. So, if you want to buy any hand painted wine glasses you'll just have to come see me at the East Buntyn Artwalk on April 16th!!




No comments:

Post a Comment