Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Working It Wednesday: Polymer Gift Tags

As I continue to try my hand at different crafts and projects, I thought it would be fun to start a recurring post that features what I'm working on. It'll post on Wednesdays and will give accounts of my current projects, be it a new craft or just my work refining an old one. So you may end up seeing some fabulous work or some fabulous Pinterest Fails, you never really know. And it will be your first sneak peek at potential new items for my shop!

This week I played around with rubber stamps and polymer clay. Until this year, I'd never used polymer clay but it's actually very fun to work with and as an added bonus, it is inexpensive. Only about $.99 for a small block of it at WalMart. It's a little reminiscent of play-dough but with a grown up feel to it. Earlier this year, I'd saved a pin on Pinterest of small, polymer clay gift tags. Such a simple project with such pretty end results. Side note: Don't you just love Pinterest? I mean seriously, what did we do before it existed? If you're on Pinterest and don't already follow me, hop on over and check out my pins! (Link in sidebar above Bio)

I used the handful of rubber stamps I had on hand to create tags for a variety of occasions. To make these, I rolled the clay flat and then firmly pressed the stamper into it. I trimmed off the excess outer edges with a toothpick and then very carefully peeled the clay away from the stamp. From there, I placed them on a baking sheet and used my toothpick again to create small holes in each tag. Popped them in the oven for a few minutes, let them cool and then broke out my paintbrushes! Once the paint dried, I sealed them with an acrylic varnish. Then, I threaded hemp cord through the holes and wha-la!
Stamping and cutting the polymer clay.

         

The Painting Process.




I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. They look like they're ceramic but are lightweight and not fragile at all. I'm considering making some to use in my own packaging for customer orders. Personally, I've never been much of a present wrapper (I'm incredibly terrible at it) but my mother can wrap a present like nobody's business and I can absolutely see her using something like this on her gifts. And I'm sure other people would use them too. It just gives it that little something extra, you know?

The finished gift tags!



If you like these but aren't into doing DIY and crafty things, you can buy these in my Etsy shop.
www.wishesandwonderment.etsy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment