Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Working It Wednesday: Abstract Art

After taking a few days off to relax and rest after all my VBS work I did some abstract canvas painting.

I've always been somewhat torn about abstract art. Is it really art? Can't anyone do it? Well, yes. Yes to both of these common questions. But even though I know the answer is yes, sometimes I question if I'm doing anything special and wonder if there isn't something better I could do with my time. And then I decide it doesn't matter. If I like it and think it's pretty then that's really all that matters. So I painted yesterday, spreading random colors of paint across the canvas until I decided I was happy with it and this is what the result was: 

One thing I do disagree with is the idea that abstract art is worth hundreds of dollars. I hate when I'm out somewhere and see a painting priced at like $750. If you're famously known and renowned that's one thing and totally understandable but the average unknown artist charging those kind of prices drives me crazy. You'll never find me selling art at those sort of prices. I'll probably end up selling this one for $40 at a craft fair or possibly in my Etsy shop. That covers my canvas and paint costs and provides a little profit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment