Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Working It Wednesday: Just For Me

This week I've been working on a little something just for me! Several years ago I took some sharpies and wrote all over a canvas some of the cool things I've gotten to experience in my life. It wasn't anything fancy but I've always liked looking at it, thinking back over fun times.

Since I created it, I've done so many more things since then (I've lived in 4 states since then!)  that I decided it was time for me to create a new one. And this time I wanted to make it prettier.

I started by painting a few bright watercolors on a blank canvas.



Once that was dry, I used a sharpie paint pen to put an Oscar Wilde quote in the middle. It's one of my favorites. I could've just used a regular sharpie marker for this but the paint pens have a glossy finish that will make the quote stand out a little more once it's surrounded by a bunch of writing.



Then, I grabbed a sharpie marker and got busy writing my life experiences across the canvas. This is where I messed up by assuming I didn't need to use a ruler. I always need a ruler yet always convince myself that I can freehand without it and still keep my lines straight. In truth I could've used a larger canvas as there were many things I wanted to add but couldn't because I was out of room. I may end up re-doing it on a larger canvas and with the help of a ruler, but for now, I'll just let it hang as it is on my art room wall. So, imperfect as it is with my uphill slanted handwriting, I still like it. For someone like myself who loves taking trips down memory lane, this is just perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment